Vault Comics Declares 2023 The Year of the Axe
Vault Comics has announced that 2023 will be The Year of the Axe as they prepare for a year-long event that will expand the brutal world of Barbaric. The expansion will include two brand-new Barbaricarcs, the first spin-off series set in the Barbaric universe titled Queen of Swords, and an oversized one-shot issue penned by Nicholas Eames. Lastly, Vault will release a new line of trade paperback Barbaric collections.
Vault breaks down the publishing plan for The Year of the Axe. Check it out below:
- Barbaric: Hell to Pay #1: (January 2023) – Now carrying the curse of Axe–who’s as bloodthirsty as ever–Soren works to find a way to get Owen out of hell, and runs into one of the barbarian’s old friends along the way. Meanwhile, Owen is trapped in the underworld–which may not turn out to be such a terrible place after all!
- Barbaric trade paperback line launch: (January 2023) – The first two trade paperback collections of Barbaric drop on the same day as Barbaric: Hell to Pay #1!
- Queen of the Swords #1: A Barbaric Story (May 2023) – You asked for it, you got it! he BARBARIC universe expands with this explosive new series! Following the events of Hell To Pay, Ka, Deadheart–wielding Ganelon, which is now infused with the wretched spirit of Ga’Bar–and Serra form an uneasy alliance and journey to obtain a magical relic that’ll help kill the evil orc Gladius. But can Serra be trusted? And will Ga’Bar ever stop talking sh*t?
- The Wrong Kind of Righteous (September 2023) – From the mind of fantasy superstar writer Nicholas Eames with Michael Moreci comes a one-shot that dives into Owen’s and Axe’s past, chronicling the time they ran into another sentient weapon, a mace named Flail! But Flail is not at all what you’d expect of a talking weapon, nor is the psychotic paladin who wields him!
- Barbaric: Born in Blood #1 (Winter 2023) – After the game-changing fallout of Hell To Pay, Owen and Soren go on a quest to find the monster that can supposedly explain Owen’s curse–but he’ll have to travel through barbarian lands to get there!
“Mike and I are continuing to grow the world and the team,” added Gooden. “The first two books of Barbaric have set up the chess board, and now is when we actually start to play the game out. Joining me on art is Corin Howell! Her covers have become a fan favorite, so it is only natural to have the interiors to match! Joining Mike on writing, is Nicholas Eames for an EPIC one shot! His book, Kings Of The Wyld, is one that inspired us to create Barbaric in the first place. It’s an honor to have each of them play in this universe.”
“Basically, strap in and get ready for Barbaric to take a huge step forward in ’23,” continued Moreci. “Bigger heroes, bigger threats, and bigger veins for Axe to draw sweet, sweet blood from!
Barbaric is co-created by writer Moreci and artist Nathan Gooden. The series with hundreds of thousands of issues sold worldwide expands into a yearlong mythic adventure in 2023.
Source: Vault Comics