Anthem Next has been canceled, BioWare announces, with Anthem servers continuing to run as normal.
BioWare & EA’s complete transformation of Anthem, which would’ve seen the developer’s bottom-up revamp of the similar to No Man’s Sky has been permanently halted BioWare announced. Anthem servers will not be affected and will continue to run as normal, BioWare confirmed.
A variety of factors played a role in their decision, although, the COVID-19 pandemic and the challenges of working from home were referenced in their announcement on Wednesday.
“2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams,” wrote Anthem executive producer Christian Dailey.
EA has shown signs of uncertainty with how to handle Anthem Next. Early last year, the studio committed to a complete overhaul of Anthem meant to provide “a more satisfying loot experience, better long-term progression, and a more fulfilling end game.”
Although, a recent Bloomberg report described a situation where EA wasn’t sure whether to fund Anthem Next.
Dailey said in today’s announcement that the decision to cancel Anthem Next was “not easy,” but explained that the studio needed all of its resources to focus on its upcoming games. “Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic,” Dailey said.
What was once one of the most anticipated games of the year has come crashing down in what was one of the most disappointing launches in recent years. We will wait and see what the future holds for Anthem, although, it doesn’t look too bright for the loot shooter.